The Western Division currently has project funding available for Division Chapters, Subunits, and other fisheries-related groups. Grants are usually modest (a total of $6,600 is available for FY 2013) but can help get a project started or be used to complement other funding sources. Applications must be received by the Western Division President no later than March 15, 2013. Questions should be directed to WDAFS President Christina Swanson at cswanson [at] nrdc.org.
Evaluation Criteria and Application Procedures
The mission of the American Fisheries Society is to “improve the conservation and sustainability of fishery resources and aquatic ecosystems by advancing fisheries and aquatic science and promoting the development of fisheries professionals”. Western Division AFS objectives are to provide a forum for exchanging technical and policy information, promote understanding by regional, Federal, and state policy-makers of the nature and extent of fishery matters of concern to the membership, facilitate timely exchange of information to chapters and the general membership, and provide a vehicle for the active participation of individual members in Society business and professional activities. Projects that clearly help achieve the AFS mission and Western Division objectives, either individually or collectively, will be prioritized for Division Grant funding over those that do not. To realize the greatest value from limited Division resources, projects addressing AFS goals and objectives, those with high visibility, and those with a greater fishery resource impact, will be given priority.
The Executive Committee will consider the following project elements when making grants funding decisions:
Does the Proposal:
1. Promote the AFS mission and WDAFS objectives (described above)?
2. Incorporate and promote science-based management, conservation or understanding of fisheries resources?
3. Elevate the visibility of fisheries issues to a broad audience?
4. Need Division funding for completion of the project relative to other funding sources?
5. Have potential for generating revenue to the Division?
1. A Western Division AFS member or sub-unit must submit the application.
2. Applications must be received no later than March 15, 2013 for consideration.
3. Applications must include the following information:
a. Project Titles
b. Name of requesting subunit or member
c. Name, address, phone number, fax number, and email address of contact(s)
d. Project description (What will the funds be used for?)
e. Estimated time to completion
f. Amount requested
g. Other funding sources and amounts provided
h. Disposition of unused funds
4. Submit applications and direct questions to WDAFS President Christina Swanson at cswanson [at] nrdc.org
The Executive Committee will review applications and notify successful applicants by April 18, 2013. The grants funding process is contingent on the availability of funds. Anyone wishing to donate to the grants fund is urged to contact the Division President.
Past Grant Awardees