First call for symposia – 2020 WDAFS Meeting
The Western Division and Washington-British Columbia Chapter of the American Fisheries Society invite you to submit your symposium proposals for the 2020 Annual General Meeting to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada April 12 – 16. The theme this year will be “Crossing Boundaries and Navigating Intersections”.
In order to advance our understanding and management of fisheries and aquatic ecosystems we will need to boldly cross boundaries and navigate intersections – we will need to go where we have not gone before. Boundaries are divides that may include technology, methodology, mindsets, disciplines, environments, borders, politics, communications, values and the like. Intersections represent pathways where these often-separate factors converge. This meeting will highlight the myriad and successful ways boundaries have been crossed and intersections navigated in fisheries and aquatic sciences to achieve desired outcomes. A special focus will be given on generating outcomes from the diversity of symposia presented. Outcomes may include publications, proposals, recommendations, agreements, identification or clarification of uncertainties, and other action items. Generating outcomes within our meeting will leverage collective talent and help us to cross boundaries and navigate intersections for the betterment of our fisheries profession and advancement of aquatic culture.
Symposium organizers are encouraged to submit proposals, recruit presenters, solicit presenter abstracts, and direct presenters to submit their abstracts. Organizers are not required to have recruited a full symposium at the time of proposal submissions. A symposium should include a minimum of 5 presentations. Time slots are limited to 20 minutes, but multiple time slots (i.e. 40 or 60 minutes) may be offered to keynote symposia speakers or wrap-up panel discussions.
FORMAT FOR SYMPOSIUM PROPOSALS – When submitting your proposal, please include the following:
- Organizer’s information: Provide first and last name, affiliation, telephone number, and e-mail address of organizer. (More than one person can help organize a symposium, but we will only collect information from the lead person.)
- Symposium title: Be brief but descriptive.
- Description: Submit a brief (<300 word) abstract that describes your proposed symposium. Deadline for symposia submittals is Friday November 8, 2019.
- Outcome: Please describe expected outcomes (e.g., may include publications, proposals, recommendations, agreements, identification or clarification of uncertainties, and other action items).
- Audiovisual requirements: LCD projectors and laptops will be available in every room. Please list special A/V requirements, if any.
- Special seating requests: Standard rooms will be arranged theater-style. Please indicate special seating requests (for example, “after the break, a panel discussion with seating for 10 panel members will be needed”).
Email your symposia topics or contact for additional information: