2019 Western Division AFS Small Project Grants
The deadline for applying for a 2019 WDAFS Small Project Grant is
April 10, 2019
The WDAFS is currently accepting applications for funding of small fisheries-related projects in the western United States, US territories, Mexico, and Canadian provinces represented by the WDAFS. Grants are usually modest, averaging less than $1000, but can help get a project started or be used to supplement funding from other sources. This year, the WDAFS Executive Committee approved a budget of $7,500 to fund as many small projects as possible. Applications must be emailed to WDAFS Past President, Brian Missildine, no later than April 10, 2019. Contact him at email@example.com or Tel. (360) 902-2676 if you have any questions.
Projects that further the mission of the American Fisheries Society and the strategic objectives of the Western Division will be targeted for Small Project Grant funding. AFS’ mission is to improve the conservation and sustainability of fishery resources and aquatic ecosystems by advancing fisheries and aquatic science and promoting the development of fisheries professionals. The Western Division endeavors to provide a forum for exchanging technical and policy information, promote understanding by regional, Federal, and state policy-makers of the nature and extent of fishery matters of concern to the membership, facilitate timely exchange of information to chapters and the general membership, and provide a vehicle for the active participation of individual members in Society business and professional activities.
The Executive Committee will consider the following project elements when making grants funding decisions. Does the proposal:
- Promote the AFS mission and WDAFS objectives? Please also refer to the AFS Strategic Plan, available on the AFS website.
- Incorporate and promote science-based management, conservation, or understanding of fisheries resources?
- Elevate the visibility of fisheries issues to a broad audience?
- Need WDAFS funding to complete the project?
- Have potential for generating revenue that would benefit the WDAFS?
An AFS member or a Student Sub-unit must submit the application. Applications must be received via email no later than April 10, 2019 for consideration. Applications over 3 pages in length will be disqualified (at a minimum, use 1-inch page margins and 11 pt font). All of the information requested below must be included in the application:
- Project title
- Name of AFS member or Student Subunit seeking funding
- Applicant’s AFS member number
- Name, address, phone number, and email address of one or more contacts
- Project description (limit to 1 page). Describe how the project aligns with and furthers AFS’s mission and WDAFS’ objectives.
- General project timeline, including estimated time to completion
- Total estimated project cost, amount of funding requested from WDAFS, and amount of funding provided by other entities (identify sources).
- Disposition of unused funds
Typically, small grant awards cannot be used for travel (mileage or per diem) except in special situations. If your application budget includes travel funds, contact Brian Missildine to find out if they may be covered by the award.
The WDAFS Executive Committee will review applications, select grantees, and notify applicants of their decision by May 15, 2019. Again, in order to realize the greatest value from limited WDAFS resources, projects addressing AFS goals and objectives, those with high visibility, and those with a greater positive impact on fisheries resources will be given priority. The number and amount of funds provided to grantees is contingent on funding priorities and the availability of funds. We reserve the right to offer a grant amount that is different than that requested. Payment will be by check.
The WDAFS is a tax-exempt non-profit organization dedicated to the professional advancement of its members and the conservation and wise use of the fisheries resource. Anyone wishing to donate to the WDAFS Small Project Grants fund is urged to contact Brian Missildine, WDAFS Past President, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 902-2676.