2020 Western Division AFS Travel Grants
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JANUARY 17, 2020
The Western Division of the American Fisheries Society is pleased to offer funding in the form of travel grants for the annual meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia to be held April 12-16, 2020.
These travel grants are for Students, Early Career Professionals (graduated since May, 2015), Professionals, Emeritus, and International members. Please review criteria before applying. Applicants will only be eligible for one travel grant, please do not apply to multiple categories or multiple times, except as identified below.
Grants will be awarded at the discretion of the WDAFS Executive Committee and may or may not cover the amount requested. Maximum amount per awarded grant will be $750(USD) (minimum $350(USD)). The maximum budgets for each category of award are: Student $5,000, Early Career Professional $1000, Professional $750, Emeritus $500, and International $750.
Applications will be received until January 17, 2020. Winners will be notified by February 14, 2020.
Please consult the WDAFS website for latest information about conference registration fees and hotels.
To apply, please visit: https://tinyurl.com/WDAFS2020travelgrants
Eligibility Requirements and Selection Criteria:
1. Current Society and WDAFS membership required. You will be asked to provide your AFS membership number.
Preference will be given to the following:
2. Applicants who actively participate at the 2020 annual meeting. This can include presenting an oral or poster presentation, assisting the planning committee, moderating a session, etc.
3. Applicants who are active in a sub-unit, Chapter, Western Division, or the Society.
4. Applicants who can illustrate they are receiving additional travel funds from another source.
5. Applicants who donate an item to the 2020 raffle or silent auction. Examples of donations include homemade crafts, services (e.g., guided fishing trip, rafting trips), items unique to your hometown or region, logo items (e.g., University ball cap, Company logo t-shirt) or items solicited from local businesses.
6. Successful applicants will be required to volunteer for 4 hours during the annual meeting. If successful, you will be contacted by the Volunteer Committee and assigned a mutually agreed-upon task to perform at the meeting. Hours must be signed off before funds will be disbursed.
International only: Applicants must reside outside the United States. If you reside outside of WDAFS boundaries, Provinces of British Columbia and the Yukon Territory in Canada; Mexico; U.S. associated entities in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, please contact Doug Austen (email@example.com) and request to become a Western Division member.
Funds will be awarded on a reimbursement basis and may only be used to cover cost of meeting registration, transportation, parking fees, and hotel fees. Travel award winners are typically responsible for paying associated meeting costs in advance (but see below). With the exception of students, travel grant funds may not be used to cover per diem/food expenses.
Receipts must be submitted to the WDAFS Secretary-Treasurer within 30 days of the annual meeting, typically by email. Directions for reimbursement will be provided when successful applicants are notified. Award recipients will be notified prior to abstract and early registration deadlines.
**WDAFS recognizes that some students and professionals may not have the financial status to pay for meeting registration, travel/airfare, and hotel costs on a 30-day reimbursable basis. As such, WDAFS is considering ways to immediately reimburse travel award winners prior to the meeting for early registration and travel costs. Please indicate if immediate reimbursement is needed on the form when asked. Reimbursement will not exceed the amount awarded.
To apply for professional-level travel assistance, please complete the application at:
Dan Brauch at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding travel grants or application. Please use the subject line WDAFS Travel Grant