2018 Western Division AFS Travel Grants
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 20th, 2018
The Western Division of the American Fisheries Society is pleased to offer funding in the form of travel grants for the annual meeting in Anchorage, Alaska to be held May 21-24, 2018.
These travel grants are for Students, Early Career Professionals (graduated after May, 2013), Professionals, and International attendees. Please review criteria before applying. Applicants will only be eligible for one travel grant, please do not apply to multiple categories or multiple times.
Grants will be awarded at the discretion of the WDAFS Executive Committee and may or may not cover the amount requested. Maximum amount per awarded grant will be $750(US) (minimum $350(US)). The anticipated number of awards is expected to be: Students (up to 10 awards), Early Career (3 awards), Professionals (3 awards), and International (2 awards).
Anticipated meeting costs are: Early Registration Fees (for AFS members): Student ($75), Early Career ($75), Professional ($300), International ($300); Hotel Rates: Hilton ($209/night), other hotels likely similar; Travel: Variable.
Eligibility Requirements and Selection Criteria:
- Current Society and WDAFS membership is required. You will be asked to provide your AFS membership number on the application form.
- Preference will be given to applicants who actively participate at the 2018 annual meeting. This can include presenting an oral or poster presentation, assisting the planning committee, moderating a session, etc.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are active in a sub-unit, Chapter, Western Division, or the Society.
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate they are receiving additional travel funds from another source.
- Preference will be given to applicants who donate an item to the 2018 meeting raffle or silent auction. Examples of donations include homemade crafts, services (e.g., guided fishing trip, rafting trips), items unique to your hometown or region, logo items (e.g., University ball cap, Company logo t-shirt) or items solicited from local businesses.
- Successful applicants will be required to volunteer for 4 hours during the annual meeting. If successful, you will be contacted by the Volunteer Committee and assigned a mutually agreed-upon task to perform at the meeting. Hours must be signed off before funds will be disbursed.
International only: To be eligible, applicants must be a member of AFS and the Western Division, and they must reside outside of the United States. WDAFS members from Canada, Mexico, US Territories, and other countries are eligible. If you are not currently a WDAFS member, please contact AFS Executive Director Doug Austen (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request to become a member.
Funds will be awarded on a reimbursement basis and may only be used to cover cost of meeting registration, transportation, parking fees, and hotel fees. Travel award winners are typically responsible for paying associated meeting costs in advance (but see below). With the exception of students, travel grant funds may not be used to cover per diem/food expenses.
Receipts must, at a minimum, be submitted to the WDAFS Secretary-Treasurer within 30 days of the annual meeting, typically by e-mail. Directions for reimbursement will be provided when successful applicants are notified. Award recipients will be notified prior to abstract and early registration deadlines (Abstracts due March 5th; early registration closes: April 21st, 2018).
*WDAFS recognizes that some students and professionals may not have the financial status to pay for meeting registration, travel/airfare, and hotel costs on a 30-day reimbursable basis. As such, WDAFS is considering ways to immediately reimburse travel award winners prior to the meeting for early registration and travel costs (note: if we decide we are unable to do this you may not be selected for the award), and is also considering providing reimbursement for other expenses in person at the end of the general meeting program (May 24th, 2018). Please indicate if either of these is the case on the form when asked. Reimbursement will not exceed the amount awarded.
To apply for professional-level travel assistance, please complete the application at: https://goo.gl/forms/AqRurskfkXMuNF5J3
If you have questions regarding this application and funding opportunities please contact Dan Dauwalter at email@example.com. Use the subject line: WDAFS travel grant